Chicken Tikka Masala is the heart and soul of Delhi's street food. Traditionally, Chicken Tikka Masala is made of marinated chunks of chicken cooked in tandoor and mixed with creamy yogurt and spice sauce. This is my variation of the dish.
- 2 lbs Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 Red onions chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic and 1/2 tbs of ginger chopped
- 4 ripped plum tomatoes
- 1/2 Can of Coconut Milk (you can also use other cream)
- 3-4 Curry leaves
- 1/2 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 tea spoon of cumin seeds
- 1/2 tea spoon of fenugreek seeds
- 3 dried red chilies (you can also use fresh green chilies)
- 1/2 tea spoon of turmeric powder
- 1 table spoon of Cumin and Coriander powder
- 1/2 table spoon of Chicken Curry Masala (generic)
- 1/2 tea spoon of Garam Masala
- Salt & Ground pepper (taste)
- Vegetable Oil and 1 table spoon of unsalted butter
Heat some oil in a pan. Then fry your dry spices (cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves, red chilies). Cook until the ingredients turn brown. Also add your chopped ginger and garlic.
Fry you onions until golden brown (3-4 mins). To sweat and caramelize the onions add pinch of salt & sugar.
Add the tomatoes and cook for about 4 mins. Then add your cumin and coriander powder. Cook it for another 2-3 minutes.
Add coconut milk and 1/2 cup of water. Also add salt & pepper for taste. On low-medium heat, close the lid of the pan and let the sauce shimmer for about 8-9 minutes.
Once the creamy sauce is cooked, let it rest for about 2-3 minutes and blend.
In a pan heat some oil and add your chicken. Add the turmeric powder and chicken curry masala. Remove any excess water (drain) from the chicken. The chicken has to be golden brown (usually takes about 8-10 mins on medium high) before you add your sauce. After the chicken is cooked you can then add the creamy sauce and turn the heat to medium - low and cook for about 5-6 minutes.
Once cooked add cilantro, garam masala and butter. Your chicken tikka masala is ready to be served over bed of rice or with naan. Enjoy :-)